March 1, 2010

The best cake I ever ate!


I'm over 40. It's hard for a cake to sneak up on me and become MY FAVORITE CAKE IN LIFE!!!! But this one caught me by surprise.

It's called the Dobos Torte. Traditionally, it's 7 layers of almond sponge cake alternating with 7 layers of French Chocolate Buttercream (oh, there's also rum simple syrup in there to hydrate the sponge layers). On the top is a layer of almond sponge cake covered in caramel and cooled, then cut into sections. The caramel sponge sections are propped up by rosettes of the chocolate buttercream and it is finished with slivered toasted almonds on the side. Yum and double yum. If you are allergic to nuts, I am SO SORRY. But this cake is amazing. If you EVER see it in a (high quality) bakery, you should get a slice. Make sure the buttercream is brought up to room temperature. Cold buttercream is no fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment