May 21, 2010

Remove the guess-work


Rare, Medium or Well Done. I'm a medium rare gal. Can't stand overcooked meat. Cooking chicken used to scare me. (Did I cook it long enough to kill all that nasty Salmonella?) How do you know when it's done? Bread? It smells done, looks done...but is it? Internal temperatures were soooo tedious.

Then I met the OXO Thermometer. I was actually fortunate enough to find it on sale after Christmas when folks were done testing turkeys. There are options for all kinds of "meat"....turkey, chicken, lamb, veal, fish....and there is also a manual setting for things like bread. Or if you just want to be a renegade and take the chicken out of the oven before it's fully cooked. Let's say, for example, the recipe says "when the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees, baste it a final time and then put it back in the oven"....BINGO. This is the tool. It even gives you an alarm when it is 10 degrees away from the desired temperature.

You put the probe in the meat and the display sits on the counter or somewhere next to your stove and quietly does its monitoring while you busy yourself with other things. It's pretty easy to use, compact and versatile.

I've included a link so you can check it out. Let me know what you think!!!

http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/xxoxo_ibeCCtpOXOPrdDtl.jsp?a=b&item=79452

No comments:

Post a Comment