January 17, 2011

Grilled Veggies: Not just for Summer Anymore!

I must first say, please excuse my hiatus!  It's not that I haven't been thinking about you.  I've had the wonderful opportunity to explore the world of Gluten-free with a cient of mine.  It's a challenging task to make things taste good despite a long list of restrictions.  I will share some tips in the future.  Now on to the subject at hand...grilled veggies!

As a child, I must admit that grilled vegetables was not my idea of a party.  In fact, if you have children, try to expose them to as much of this kind of thing as you can while they are still young.  I encourage you to at least have them TRY everything.  If they don't like it, don't force them to eat it....just move on and let them know that in a few weeks they may like it, as their tastes evolve so much over time.

Grilled vegetables are really a simple thing.  And believe it or not, you don't even need a grill!  Just buy one of those square or round pans that has those "speed bumps" to create the grill or "hash" marks.  Pick the veggies of your choice...eggplant, zuchini, summer squash, mushrooms, asparagus, tomatoes......  Marinate them for about an hour in the fridge using olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar, Kosher salt, pepper and Herbs de Provence. 

Heat your grill to really hot.  Layer the veggies so they have enough room and are not touching eachother.  Once they have cooked on one side (peek underneath and look for that black grill mark), turn them over.  Once they are done on the other side, remove them and put them in a dish and cover with foil until all the batches are done.  They will "weep" and express water.  That's ok.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with omeletes, steak, chicken or fish.  They are also nice over cous cous. With your indoor grill pan, it will feel like summer all winter long!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I've always wondered how people grill indoors without the big, fancy stove. I enjoy grilled veggies, and I think I will run right out this week and find a "speed bump" pan! Thank you for the tip!

    ReplyDelete